The Past MasterCard and Clear Partnership
Airline travel and reward cards have gone together like bread and butter, with travel rewards being one of the most popular perks for card members. MasterCard wanted its members to experience faster lane security screening.
In 2008 MasterCard struck a deal with Clear. MasterCard announced a multiyear deal to allow MasterCard issuers to discount the program's cost to their card members. Clear members were paying a $128 annual fee, $28 of which goes to the Transportation Security Administration for government processing.
Details on the Partnership Included:
• MasterCard issuers can offer discounted access to Clear program.
• The program charges an annual fee to offer fliers an express lane through airport security.
• Applicants submit detailed personal info at flyclear.com.
• They follow up in person with two photo IDs and submit to fingerprint and retinal scans, and receive a membership card.
• At the airport, members have fingerprints taken or retina scanned in a shorter security line, but still must go through metal detector and remove shoes.